Rules and Policies
NUST Library Rules & Policies
Access And Membership
- NUST Students - must produce a valid NUST student identity card for registration
with the Library.
- NUST Staff Members - both Academic and Non-Academic, need a letter of introduction from Head of Department in order to complete an application form.
These are users from other institutions who wish to use the library facilities. Approved readers do not have borrowing rights.
Non Paying Approved Readers
- Visiting academics and administrators
- Members of the NUST Council
Paying Approved Readers
- Former Students - should produce a letter from the NUST Alumni
Association at the NUST Information Office.
- Students and Staff members from other universities
- Researchers from public and private institutions
Library Entrance Requirements
To gain entry into the Library
- Students and Staff must possess a valid NUST Identity Card (ID)
- Staff members and researchers from other institutions must be in possession of a letter of introduction or recommendation from their institution..
Should a patron lose their ID, a report must be immediately made with library authorities to prevent unauthorised usage. Patrons are liable for any material checked out using their ID.
General Rules And Regulations
- Users must show a valid University or Approved Readers’ Identity Card to the Security Guard upon entering Library premises.
- For security reasons, bags, cases, rain coats, umbrellas, "bomber" jackets, etc, may not be taken into the Library. These should be left at the Baggage Bay accessible through the side (small gate) entrance along Fort Street..
- Smoking, eating and drinking are strictly prohibited in the Library.
- Cellphone use in the library is prohibited.
- Readers are at all times expected to observe silence in the Library.
- All losses of and damage to library materials must be reported to the Library promptly.
- All items taken in or out of the Library are subject to a security check.
- Library material shall not be issued to persons who hold overdue books and/or have outstanding fines.
- Patrons should ensure that they obtain a system-generated receipt for all payments made at the Library.
- Results of students with overdue material and unpaid fines will be withheld until payment is received in full.
- Students are expected to clear themselves with the Library at the end of every Semester. Failure to do so will result in their results being withheld.
- The Library will confisticate any material not belonging to NUST Library if there is no proof it was borrowed legally from the lending institution.
(All fines are subject to change at any time)
Patrons shall be charged for the following offenses:
- Returning books after the Due Date.
- Damaging library material. Patrons are liable to pay for the repairs on any material brought back in an unsatisfactory condition. The Library also encourages all patrons to check material they are borrowing to see if they are in good condition.
- Noise, drinking, or eating in the Library
- Browsing restricted material, e.g., pornographic material
- Using another Student’s ID
- Parking of bicycles in forbidden areas, e.g., locking bicyles onto the gate
- Double booking on computers
- Attempting to leave the library with an uncleared book
- Any other offences
align="left" width="716" border="0">
Maximum Loan Items Per Patron Type
|Type Of Member||
No. Of Items
Post Graduate Students
Approved Readers (All)
- Only registered patrons can borrow material from the Library.
- All items taken out of the Library must bear the Library Due Date Stamp.
- All items going out of the Library must have a valid Date Due Slip.
- The Library charges fines for all overdue library material.
- Library material shall not be issued to persons who hold overdue books or with outstanding fines.
- Due to limited resources, Library materials may not be renewed (except for Staff Patrons - who may do this at the Circulation Desk or by phone or email)
- All items are subject to recall if in demand.
- Any borrowers terminating membership of the Library or (Staff) proceeding on study leave must return all outstanding materials and complete a clearance form.
- Approved Readers do not have borrowing rights.
NOTE:The Library can suspend a member’s rights to use the Library facilities for infringing the above Rules and Regulations.
My Library Account
This facility allows Patrons to view the status of their Library record. It is important for Patrons to check their accounts regularly in order to avoid their abuse. Patrons may access this facility from anywhere on the web by clicking the button marked My Library Account on the site banner (at the top of this page).
The Library is equipped with many computers for use by Patrons.
- use the login information provided onsite in order to use the Library computers
- use Library computers for research purposes only
- first make a booking before using Library computers
- ask for assistance from staff at the Help Desk if they have problems using the Library computers
- only use laptops from within the Board Room by arrangement with Library IT Department staff
- report any suspected "foul play" to Library staff
Patrons shall not...
- change any settings on the Library computers
- visit Internet sites that contain undesirable or unlawful material, e.g, pornography
- move any of the Library's computer equipment
- install programs on the Library's computers
- play music CDs and/or videos on the Library's computers